For violin and piano, in score. Autograph music manuscript, in ink and in pencil.
Dated on the front cover: 'Begun March 1925'. The date on which the Sonata was finished is recorded on f. 13v and f. 17: 'April 6th 1925'. With Britten's (youthful) signature ('E B Britten') accompanying each date.
The notebook comprises:
- front cover, entitled 'Violin Sonata in D Major', with date ('Begun March 1925'), with signature and dedication to Britten's brother, 'R. H. M. Britten' (f. i);
- 'Allegro con brio' scored in ink (ff. 1-3v);
- 'Adagio ma mon troppo' scored in ink (ff. 3v-5);
- 'Scherzo' scored in ink (ff. 5-6);
- 'Trio' scored in ink (ff. 6v-7);
- struck-through passages, in ink and in pencil (ff. 7-9v), including (f. 9-9v) a fragment in full score for different instrumentation;
- 'Rondo' scored in pencil (ff. 10-14), finishing on f. 13v which is signed and dated;
- Sonata violin part, scored in ink (ff. 15-17), signed and dated on f. 17.