Volumes 1 and 2 are dated 1853. Volume 5 is missing, but see Fenian TalesIV [Eng MS 482]. The tales are described as 'doneinto metre by D.H. Kelly, Esq., M.R.I.A.' The relationship between theprose and metrical versions of the Fenian Tales is as follows:
- The tales of Volume 1 (Eng MS 488) are found, literally translated,among those in Fenian Tales I (Eng MS 479);
- The tales of Volume 2 (Eng MS 489), except TheBanishment of the Sons of Uisneach (folios 3-26), are in Fenian TalesII (Eng MS 480);
- The tales of Volume 3 (Eng MS 490), except TheLamentation of the Sons of Uisneach (folios 139-197), are in FenianTales I and II (Eng MSS 479 and 480);
- The tales of Volume 4 (Eng MS 491) are in Fenian Tales IV (Eng MS 482);
- The tale of Volumes 6-8 (Eng MSS 492-494) is in Fenian Tales VI and VII: The Cattle Raid of Cuailgne (Eng MSS 484-485).