Photocopied escape diary, with typed transcript (nd); 2 photographs of sketches, 1917 (nd); Photocopied letters from various correspondents (1918, nd); Photocopied maps, photographs, press cuttings and certificates (1918-1936); Photocopy of manuscript recollections in journal form (1924); Manuscript letter from V.B. Yearsley (11 March 1918); Typed transcript of an interview recorded with Peter Liddle (May 1974).
J.H. Harris papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection MES 042
- Dates of Creation1917-1974
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 box; manuscript, typescript, photographs, press cuttings, and printed material (mostly photocopy); Includes photocopied maps.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
J.H. Harris, born in Winchester, was a Captain, 4th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, serving in India and Mesopotamia. He was taken POW (Prisoner of War) after the Siege of Kut, but escaped, 1918. Later he became a Major.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Other Finding Aids
Mesopotamia catalogue (hard copy) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available