Epistle from R. Dyer, justifying himself for calling Baxter’s Directions 'Kidderminster-stuff' and explaining the damage this has caused to his reputation.
R Dyer’s Animadversions on Baxter’s Directions
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
Scope and Content
Argent notes that Baxter’s broadside of advice Directions to justices of peace, especially in corporations for the discharge of their duty to God (1657) is unlikely to be the subject of the criticism mentioned above. It more likely arose from the request of William Montford who had been chosen bailiff of Kidderminster for directions from Baxter on how best to discharge his duties.
Other Finding Aids
Argent / Black ii.57; Thomas p.9
- For John Corbyn (Corbin(e)) see Corr 2, 3, 4, 9, 478, 479.
- For Augustine of Hippo (354-430) see ODCC.
- For Amandus Polanus von Polansdorf (1561-1610) see Robert Letham Amandus Polanus: A Neglected Theologian in The Sixteenth Century Journal vol 21, no 3 (Autumn 1990) pp 463-476.
- See Corr 388, 454, 471, 473, 474, 488, 489, 490, 507, 596 and 1064.