Baxter's response in letter form to 'a namelesse Accuser (Mr L) about Parish Communion. The Defense of my confutation of Dr Owens Reasons against Liturgies, & of just Communion with the Churches that have tollerable pastors'
Baxter’s defence of his Catholick communion defended
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 123 DWL/RB/1/28
- Former ReferenceGB 123 Treatises i.25
- Dates of Creation20 April 1684
- Physical Description7 folio (ff 82-88), f 82v and 88 are blank, f 82 is a slip of paper, not a full sheet, just a title slip. 300 x 190 mm.
Scope and Content
This is part of the correspondence about Dr Owen’s MS. For the sequel of this correspondence see Treatises 371. See Baxter’’s two quarto pamphlets on this subject, pub 1684, and his ms letter to Dr Annesley. This copy seems to be by the hand of Roger Morrice’s amanuensis. Argent concurs with W H Black's identification of ‘Mr. L’ with Stephen Lobb
Other Finding Aids
Argent / Black ii.25; Thomas p.19
Other foliation (not in the original MS) ff 413-414
- This treatise is Corr 1136. See also Corr 1130 and 1132. See also Rel iii. 196f
- See R. Baxter Catholick communion defended against both extreams(1684) and Catholick communion doubly defended: by Dr Owens vindicator and Richard Baxter (1684).
- For Samuel Annesley (1620-96) see Corr 392, 471, 760, 1026, 1178, CR, ODNB and Rel. iii. 95.
- For Stephen Lobb (d 1699) see Corr 1023, 1024, 1026, 1132, 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139, 1148, 1255, 1256 and ODNB.