Anonymous discussion of the subject treated in Richard Baxter’s 'Catholick Theologie', London 1675 (Part I, pp. 84-105). This is one fairly written sheet, by an unknown hand, ended imperfectly until a fragment was found and inserted which completes the article. Baxter notes: ‘I take it, this is not the singular opinion of Dr Twiss Mr Rutherford & Maccovius, but of many others such as Calvin. Beza, P: Martyr, Zanch: Chamier, Muscul. Whitacre, Bucarius’
Of God’s decrees with respect to sin
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
Scope and Content
Other Finding Aids
Argent / Black iii.70, Thomas p.16
- See Cath: Theol. Sect: 17: & 18. touching Gods decreeing Ut eveniat peccatum ipso penittente.
- For William Twisse (1578-1646), prolocutor of the Westminster Assembly of Divines, see Corr 28, 80, 81, 96, 144, 148, 152, 170, 199, 221, 242, 269, 285, 295, 599, 911,922, 935, 964, 1065, 1100, 1154, 1218 and ODNB.
- For Samuel Rutherford (1600-61) see Corr 139, 182, 674, 841, 911 and ODNB.
- For Johannes Maccovius (1588-1644), also known as Jan Makowski, the Polish Reformed theologian, see W J van Asselt ‘The Theologian’s Toolkit: Johannes Maccovius and the Development of Reformed Theological Distinctions’ in Westminster Theological Journal 68 (2006) 23-40.
- For Daniel Chamier (1564/5-1621), the French Reformed theologian, see Corr 456, 572 and E G Leonard A History of Protestantism (1967).
- For Wolfgang Musculus or ‘Muslin’ ( 1497-1563), the German Reformed theologian, see D K McKim and D F Wright (eds) Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith (Westminster, John Knox Press 1992) and P Benedict Christ’s Churches Purely Reformed. A Social History of Calvinism (Yale University Press 2002).
- For Girolamo (Zanchius) Zanchi see Corr 189.
- For William Whit(t)aker (1547/8-95) see Corr 743A and ODNB.
- For Calvin, Beza, Peter Martyr, Girolamo Zanchi , Daniel Chamier, Willam Whit(t)aker and Martin Bucer see also ODCC.