Apocalyptical notes and studies, from the following authors: ‘Mr Beverley’ (pp. 1-17), ‘John Fox’ (pp. 18-20), ‘Dr More, Paralepom. p. 164’ (pp. 21-26), ‘Cluverey p. 28 &c. contra Alcasar’ (p. 27) and ‘Artopoeus’ (p. 28). Neatly written in quarto, not by Baxter.
Notes from Thomas Beverley and others
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 123 DWL/RB/1/285
- Former ReferenceGB 123 Treatises vii.41 Treatises vii.237
- Dates of Creation1685-1691
- Physical Descriptionff 121-134, Additional pagination pp. 1-28; 190 x 155 mm.
Scope and Content
Argent notes that 'Alcasar is probably the Jesuit, Ludovici ab Alcasar Hispalensis, the author of Vestigatio arcani sensus in Apocalypsi : cum opusculo de sacris ponderibus ac mensuris (1614).'
And 'Is the reference to Artopoeus to the following? The diuisyon of the places of the lawe and of the Gospell, gathered owt of the hooly scriptures by Petrum Artopoeum: wher unto is added two orations of prayeng to God made by S. Iohn. Chrisostome, no lesse necessary then lerned. Translated into English and published probably in 1548. Petrus Artopoeus, the German Hebraist, was also known as Peter Becker (1491-1563) who wrote some works in Latin on the Apocalypse. See A Hyamson A dictionary of universal biography (1951).'
Other Finding Aids
Argent / Black vii.237 (also listed as vii.41); Thomas p.22
- For John Foxe (1516-87), the martyrologist, see ODNB and ODCC. His Acts and Monuments of matters happening in the Church (commonly known as Foxe’s Book of Martyrs) went through four editions in Foxe’s lifetime.
- Henry More’s Paralipomena prophetica containing several supplements and defences of Dr Henry More his expositions of the Prophet Daniel and the apocalypse … Whereunto is also added Phililicrines upon R.B. his notes on the Revelation of S. John was published in 1685.