Comprises: (1) Stock account at the end of 1812 and 1814; (2) Scrapbook of newspaper cuttings, letters, and notices relating to the woollen industry and the firm of Clay, ca.1850-1928.
J. T. Clay and Sons Limited, Business Archive
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Business Archives MS Clay
- Dates of Creation1812 - 1928
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description2 vols Vol.1 is lettered on spine: CLAY & EARNSHAW STOCK 1812 AND 1814, and on the front cover: CLAY & EARNSHAW CROWTREES RAISTRICK. It is bound in red leather
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
J. T. Clay and Sons Limited were woollen and worsted manufacturers. Based at Crow Trees Mills which included Holme Mill, Raistrick Mill, Brighouse Mill, Raistrick, the company was established under the name J. T. Clay and Sons Ltd. in 1881. They had been manufacturing in the district much earlier under the name Clay and Earnshaw.
Access to this material is unrestricted.
Other Finding Aids
Described in Patricia Hudson, The West Riding wool textile industry: a catalogue of business records from the sixteenth to the twentieth century , 1975