Contains a miscellany of prose and 34 pieces of English poetry, many with evident Jacobite sympathies and dated in the mid and later years of the eighteenth century, including speeches of Jacobites prior to execution, pieces in Latin, English written in Greek characters, an acrostic on the name 'Duke of Cumberland', epitaphs, transcribed letters of some of the nobility, and a few recipes and epigrams. The press-cuttings are likewise miscellaneous in subject matter and include both prose and poetry.
Commonplace-book of eighteenth century prose and verse, chiefly with Jacobite sympathies
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 106
- Dates of Creationca. 1745-1780
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish Latin Greek
- Physical Description1 vol. (191 ff.), chiefly manuscript, but with press-cuttings and printed poems pasted on to many of the pages. Mainly written in a single hand, but with some pieces added in another hand. Ff.69v, 90v-123v, 146v, and 148v-191 are blank. Bound in plain vellum which is somewhat worn and discoloured.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The compilers of this miscellany are unknown.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased on 29 March 1995.
Mainly in English, but with some Latin and Greek.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt106