- Papers concerning consular service in Kenya, Zanzibar, Madagascar, Brest, Trieste, Malaga and New Caledonia, 1883-1908
- Correspondence, including typed transcripts, 1881-1907
- Horoscopes and solicitors' bills for marriage settlement, 1883-1904
- Passports, [c1880-1910?]
- Letters from AgnesMarion Haggard, his wife, 1885-1888
- Journals of Ella Doveton, his sister-in-law, 1837-1866
- Correspondence with Andrew Charles Parker Haggard, his brother, on service with the Egyptian Army in the Sudan, 1882-1917
- Letters, Alfred Thacker, servant to Andrew Charles Parker Haggard, 1884, 1943
- Letters, Maximilian Richard Western, 1882, 1883
- Printed and manuscript ephemera, including notes on thefamily of William Meybohm Rider Haggard (1817-1893) and Ella Haggard (ne Doveton) (1892-1976)
Papers of John George Haggard
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Brit. Emp. s. 465
- Dates of Creation1837-1917
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description2 boxes
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John George Haggard (1850-1908) served from 1883 to 1908 as British Vice-Consul in Lamu (Kenya) and also in the British consulates in Zanzibar, Madagascar, Brest (France), Trieste (Italy), Noumea (New Caledonia) and Malaga (Spain). He was married to Agnes Marion Barber.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required. Papers to be used for research purposes only.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 584 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).
Alternative Form Available
Microfilm copies of the papers (excepting letters from Agnes Marion Haggard,c1886-1888, the diaries of Ella Doveton, 1837-1866, and letters fromMaximilian Western in Rangoon, Burma, nd.) are held by the National Archivesof Kenya and the National Museums of Kenya.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.