Constituency files re individuals, industrial and other local issues, mainly mid-1960s to 1975; engagement diaries, 1958-75; copies of press-cuttings; files re his literary work, including several scripts, as well as correspondence about and reviews of his publications.
Maurice Edelman, MP, Papers
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 152 MSS.125
- Dates of Creationc.1960-1975
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description[ not recorded ]
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Maurice Edelman was born in Cardiff, in 1911. Fluent in several languages, he wrote for The Guardian and The New Statesman on Russian affairs and acted as a war correspondent in France and North Africa. He acted as Labour MP for Coventry West from 1945 until 1950, and for Coventry North from 1950 to 1974. Edelman continued to be active in foreign affairs, acting as a delegate to the Consultative Committee of the Council of Europe from 1949 to 1951, and from 1965 to 1970, and was Chairman of the Socialist Group in the Western European Union from 1968 to 1970. He died in 1975.
Reference: Accessions file for MSS.125
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted - consult archivist.
An authority file exists for Maurice Edelman (GB 152 AAR0901).
The collection was originally deposited with the Centre in 1976.
- August 1977 4 files re: health matters, delivered by Edelman's daughter, Dr. N. Burchandt.
- May 1978 5 boxes of personalia, tapes and photos, collected by the Centre.
- July 1978 Miscellaneous papers, collected by the Centre.