Photographs, dated ca. 1885-1903, showing groups of pupils at the China Inland Mission School at Chefoo, various lighhouses in China, harbour scenes, views of Chefoo and Hankow, Hongkong, Tientsin, Wenzhou and elsewhere.
Godsil Family Photographs
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 102 MS 380511
- Dates of Creationc 1885-1930
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 album and 42 loose photographs and cards
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Members of the Godsil family first went out to China in 1845. They were engaged in maritime work as engineers, in the Imperial Chinese Customs service or as ships' captains. Captain John Godsil was seconded by the Royal Navy to the Imperial Chinese Navy and built a number of lighthouses and other navigational aids around the China coast.
Conditions Governing Access
Donated by Dr Rosemary White, a descendant of Captain John Godsil.
Other Finding Aids
This description constitutes the only finding aid at present.