Comprises about 475 autograph love letters from Juliette Drouet to Victor Hugo, together with numerous typed translations into English, 17 letters from other female admirers signed Adle, Marie, etc., 8 signed Claire, and miscellaneous letters and other memoranda, printed and manuscript, concerning Madame Drouet. All the letters are headed with the day and hour of writing, but a few are dated, 1851.
Collection of letters from Juliette Drouet to Victor Hugo, with some related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Hugo
- Dates of Creationca. 1833-1883
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialFrench English
- Physical Description3 boxes containing about 4,800 pages, manuscript, typescript, and printed material.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Juliette Drouet (1806-1883) was the longstanding mistress of Victor Hugo (1802-1885), the French romantic poet.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton. The typescript catalogue of his collection contains detailed biographical information about Juliette Drouet.
In French, but with many transcriptions in English.
Doris Gunnell, "The unpublished letter of Juliette Drouet to Victor Hugo", in Microcosm, Vol.9, no.3 (1925), pp.133-141.