Comprises 9 autograph letters from Charles Gounod to different recipients, written between 26 July 1860 and 13 May 1880, 1 stamped-addressed envelope dated St Leonards-on-Sea 30 April 74 to W.T. Freemantle, Esq., 21, High Street, Sheffield, 1 portrait photograph of Charles Gounod, 1 fragment of a manuscript musical score signed by Gounod, and 1 pamphlet in English, entitled The Story of 'Mirella' and a memoir of M. Gounod, issued by Boosey and Co., Holles Street, W.
Letters from Charles Gounod, with related material
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 2 Gounod
- Dates of Creationca. 1860-1880
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialFrench English
- Physical Description9 letters, 1 stamped-addressed envelope, 1 portrait photograph, 1 fragment of a manuscript musical score, and 1 pamphlet, all held in 1 envelope, manuscript, photograph, and printed material. The material was formerly bound into a volume which is now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Charles-Franois Gounod (1813-1893), the French composer. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians.
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.
In French and English.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#gounod