Comprises 43 poems, including several relating to Tonbridge School and one addressed to members of the Austen family. The manuscript falls into four parts, divided by sections of blank pages: 'Edward the Second'; original poems by George Weller; Tonbridge School poems; and miscellaneous poems.
Miscellany of poems transcribed and in part composed by George Weller
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt q 51
- Dates of Creationca. 1750
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (vi, 226pp.), manuscript. Miscellany of autograph and copied verse, probably written by the single hand of George Weller, ca. 1750. Pp.i-v, 109-119, 134-157, 159, 163-167, 181, 187, 198, 208-223, 225-226 are blank. Bound in a vellum cover with some blind tooling and the letters '3:F/Sup:Fine(?)/Poems' written at the top of the spine in brown ink.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
George Weller (1710-1778) was the son of Robert Weller of Tonbridge and Elizabeth Poley of Boxted Hall, Suffolk. He was at Tonbridge School in 1721-2, and probably longer, and continued to live at Tonbridge, and then at Tunbridge Wells until some time after 1766. He was a lawyer and Recorder of Queenborough, and he seems to have played an active role in county affairs. On inheriting Boxted Hall from his mother, he took the added surname of Poley, and later moved to Suffolk, where he died in 1778. Elizabeth Weller, George Weller's aunt, was Jane Austen's great-grandmother. That George maintained some connection with the Austens is evidenced by the poem on p.108. It is also very likely that he knew Jane Austen's father, who was at Tonbridge School in the 1740s.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased at Quaritch's on 30 October 1990.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bcltq51