Contains, from one end, 'tables of the names of all the warrants contained in this booke made 1658', followed by a book of recipes, and, from the other end, an 'enumeration table' of various mathematical calculations from ca. 1650, followed by further recipes, an almanack for 1660, various 'divine precepts and moral rules, dated 15 June 1730', and 14 eighteenth-century English poems, mostly anonymous, but with two works by Laurence Eusden and Joseph Addison.
Commonplace-book containing draft legal warrants, culinary and medical recipes, mathematical notes, moral precepts, and English verse from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 102
- Dates of Creationca. 1650-1730
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (97 ff.), manuscript. Written in several different seventeenth and eighteenth century hands from both ends of the volume, meeting after f.45r. There is some subsidiary pagination within some of the separate sections of text. Bound in worn and somewhat damaged leather with traces of gilt tooling on the outside covers and spine, and traces also of clasps which have been broken off on the fore-edges of the volume.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The compilers of this collection are unknown.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased from Marlborough's on 23 March 1994.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt102