The material has been arranged in three sections and includes letters toLaura Chichester, later Mrs Knight, the diaries of Laura Knight and notes bytheir daughter Marcella Knight (later Carver), concerning her book Apositivist life: a personal memoir of my father William Knight (1976).
KNIGHT WILLIAM 1845-1901POSITIVIST
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb97-collmisc0648
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 COLL MISC 0648
- Dates of Creation1887c-1901c
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical DescriptionOne box
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
William Knight 1845 - 1901
William Knight was a barrister who was forced by ill health to cease topractice in the late 1870s. He was interested in the work of August Comte(1798 - 1857) and the Positivist movement. In 1888 he married Laura IsobelChichester. Many of the letters in this collection were addressed to hiswife, and define his ethical and intellectual position on marriage.
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
Conditions Governing Use