1. Adroddiadau Blynyddol (annual reports); 2. Sunday School attendance registers; 3. Records relating to church membership; 4. Programmes for Cymanfaoedd Canu held at Bethel, Penclawdd; 5. Orders of service and booklets associated with special services and commemorations; 6. Photographs; 7. Other records; 8. Records relating to the church building; 9. Registers of births, deaths, marriages and membership; 10. Accounts and financial records; 11. Records relating to the opening of the former Bethel Vestry as the new chapel in 2014, and the celebration of the bicentenary in 2016; 12. Bethel Chapel Choral Society; 13. Miscellaneous; 14. Account books; 15. Membership registers; 16. Minutes; 17. Newsletters.
Records of Bethel Independent Church, Penclawdd
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 216 D/D Ind 46
- Dates of Creation1849-2016
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialWelsh English
- Physical Descriptionapproximately 1.5 linear metres
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Bethel began in 1816 as one of the six chapels established on Gower by Diana, Lady Barham. The cause was initially affiliated to the Calvinistic Methodists, but a split occurred in the 1820s which resulted in the chapel becoming Independent in 1829, foundering for some years, before being reopened in 1839. The church was completely rebuilt in 1910.
Arranged into series based on contents and then into date order.
Conditions Governing Access
Other Finding Aids
A hard copy is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service
Conditions Governing Use
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Duplicates and ephemeral items not retained.
Accruals are possible.