The collection consists of correspondence to and from Norris, some of which relates to the church in India; notes by Norris, mainly for sermons; and a copy of the journal of William Ward, describing the work of Baptist missionaries among British troops in India, 1807-17.
Papers of Henry Handley Norris
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. lett. b. 38, c. 789-91; Eng. misc. b. 439, c. 942, d. 1367
- Dates of Creation1795-1864
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description7 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Henry Handley Norris (1771-1850) was Rector of St. John of Jerusalem, Hackney and a theologian. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The papers were bought from Charles Higham (SPCK bookshop) in 1978.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.