Comprises 1 autograph letter from Peregrine Osborne, 2nd Duke of Leeds, to his unnamed sister dated 9 June 1694 (with a transcript). It concerns the Battle of Camaret Bay, which had been fought the day before Osborne wrote this letter. The latter battle took place during the War of the Grand Alliance. It was an unsuccessful British naval attack on Brest in Brittany repulsed by the stronger French force under Vauban with the death of the British land force commander, Tollemarche.
Letter from Peregrine Osborne, 2nd Duke of Leeds, to his sister
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionmsmisc.letters1osborne(2)
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Osborne (2)
- Dates of Creation1694
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 letter held in 1 envelope, manuscript. The material was formerly bound into a volume containing also a transcript of the letter, which is now shelved in a separate author/alphabetical sequence following the main sequence of Miscellaneous Letters.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Peregrine Osborne (1658-1729) was 2nd Duke of Leeds and a vice-admiral. He married Bridget Hyde, who died in 1733. For fuller details of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography. The name of his sister is not given.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
From the library of Lord Brotherton.