The collection includes manuscripts and printed papers, primarily concerning life in Lille,France during the First World War, together with later papers relating to the exhibition of thecollection and its transfer to Nottingham. The collection comprises:
- Correspondence between Herbert Mayo Leman and William and Elizabeth Lees, residents of Lilleduring the occupation, and between Leman and Mr Flack, the librarian of University CollegeNottingham. 1918-1936 (MS 155/1);
- Personal papers of William Lees including his identity card, written statements made by him aboutscenes that he witnessed, correspondence, official forms and ration cards and other manuscriptitems. 1914-1918 (MS 155/2);
- Printed posters and leaflets in French and German that were found or displayed in Lille by theGerman occupying force. c.1914-1918 (MS 155/3);
- Newspaper cuttings, newspapers and a souvenir programme relating to the occupation and evacuationof Lille and events and personalities associated with it. 1918 (MS 155/4);
- Typescript captions and translations to accompany the exhibition of items concerning theoccupation and evacuation of Lille, including items in this collection. It is likely that WilliamLees was responsible for writing the captions. c.1918 (MS 155/5).