- MS 1016/3/46-57;D Letters (12) to Mrs Caroline Oates, 1911-1912 [During and immediately after the expedition] holograph
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Evan Evans/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation1911-1912
- Name of Creator
- Physical DescriptionCirca 12 letters
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The correspondence relates to the British Antarctic Expedition, 1910-1913 (leader Robert Falcon Scott). The expedition spent two winters at Cape Evans on Ross Island, after successfully reaching the South Pole on 17 January 1912 Scott and his companions (Henry Bowers, Edgar Evans, Lawrence Oates and Edward Wilson) perished during the return journey.
Mrs Oates the recipient of the letters was the mother of Lawrence Oates. The correspondence relates primarily to the financial side of the expedition and the arrangements for the expedition members to receive mail from home during their time in Antarctica.