Records of Knight and Sons, solicitors of Newcastle under Lyme, with papers from 1480-1971. Includes some personal papers.
Records of Knight and Sons, solicitors of Newcastle under Lyme
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 169 D4452
- Dates of Creation1480-1971
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish and Latin
- Physical DescriptionBusiness and personal papers
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Formerly of the Ironmarket, Newcastle under Lyme and later of the Brampton. Knight & Sons was founded in 1767. In the late 18th century the clients of the firm were the major landowners and 'men of affairs' of the North Midlands. Today the firm still acts for many of the old families of the area, together with a wide range of business clients throughout the country.
Source: Knight & Sons website http://www.knightandsons.co.uk/profile/main.htm
- Family Clients
- Business Clients
- Deeds not forming part of above section: Staffordshire
- Deeds not forming part of above section: Out-County, England
- Deeds not forming part of above section: Out-County, Wales
- Probate and administrations
- Personal papers not forming part of above sections
- Miscellaneous copies and abstracts of wills and parish registers etc.
- Business papers not forming part of above sections
- Maps, plans and elevations not forming part of above sections
- Records re. Enclosure Acts
- Miscellaneous papers re. local government
- Miscellaneous printed papers
The reading room is open to all members of the public without charge. An Archive Service reader's ticket is required for use of the reading room.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available on the Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service, Staffordshire Record Office website http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/OnlineCatalogues/GatewaytothePast/
Originally published by Access to Archives (A2A) www.a2a.org.uk. The contents of this catalogue are in the copyright of Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service, Staffordshire Record Office.