Notes and transcripts by John Anstis, with some correspondence, for his work The register of the most noble order of the Garter (London, 1726), mounted on leaves from 16th-century editions of year books.
Papers of John Anstis
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.don.d.126-7
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Don. d. 126-7
- Dates of Creation18th century
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description2 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Anstis (1669-1744) was a herald, antiquary and MP. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
Bought, Stanley Crowe, cat. 70, item 62, and given by the Friends of the Bodleian, 1961.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 39078-9.
S. Baker & G. Leigh, 12 December 1768 (Anstis sale), lots 342-3; Sotheby's, 19 December 1960, lot 251.