Papers of A.W. Phillips, economist. This collection consists of BillPhillip's surviving lectures, lecture notes and draft unpublished articles,notes and calculations on economics, including the Chinese economy. There isalso a published memoir by his sister.
PHILLIPS ALBAN WILLIAM HOUSEGO 1914 -1975 ECONOMIST
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 97 COLL MISC 0857
- Dates of Creation1960-1993
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description2 boxes
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Professor Alban William Housego Phillips 1914 - 1975.
Professor Phillips was educated in New Zealand state schools and the LondonSchool of Economics and Political Science. He obtained various posts in electrical engineering from 1930 - 1940 and served in the Royal Air Force(Technical Branch) 1940 - 1946 as Armament Officer at Kollang in Singapore.During the evacuation of the RAF from Singapore in 1942 he was captured andspent the remainder of the war as a Japanese POW in Indonesia.
He became Assistant Lecturer in Economics at the LSE, 1950 - 1951, Lecturerin Economics 1951 - 1954, Reader in Economics at the University of London,1954 - 1958 and Tooke Professor of Economic Science and Statistics at theUniversity of London 1958 - 1967. He was the Professor of Economics in theAustralian National University 1967 - 1970.
His publications include:
- Dynamic models in economics (1953)
- Employment, inflation and growth: an inaugural lecture. 28 November, 1961(1962)
- Stability and inflation: a volume of essays to honour the memory of AWHPhillips (1978) edited by A.R. Bergstrom
- AWH Phillips: collected works in contemporary perspective 1914 - 1975(2000) edited by Robert Leeson
The material has been arranged in four sections.
Conditions Governing Access
Phillips, Mrs V. viaSticerd
Other Finding Aids
Listed on databaseonly.
Conditions Governing Use
COPYRIGHT IS HELD BY THEFAMILY