- Annual reports, 1917-1967
- General Council meeting minutes, 1910-1966
- Conference reports, 1961-1968
- Rule books, 1960-1966
- Other papers: officer and branch directory
- Branch records: Liverpool branch, 1957; St. Helens branch, 1900-1956
National Amalgamated Society of Operative House and Ship Painters and Decorators
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb1008-tu/paint
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1008 TU/PAINT
- Dates of Creation1900-1967
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description6 volumes 81 items
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Manchester Alliance of Operative House Painters was formed in 1856. In 1870 it changed its name to the General Alliance of Operative House Painters. In 1886 the National Amalgamated Society of Operative House and Ship Painters and Decorators was formed as a new union. In 1941 the name was changed to the National Society of Painters and in 1959 to the Amalgamated Society of Painters and Decorators. In 1970 the union joined the Amalgamated Society of Woodworkers to become the Amalgamated Society of Woodworkers and Decorators. In 1971 it merged with the Amalgamated Union of Building Trade Workers to form the Union of Construction, Allied Trades and Technicians.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for consultation.
If you wish to visit the library you need to make an appointment. The Working Class Movement Library is open Tuesday-Friday 10.00am-5.00pm and every 1st Saturday of the month 10.00am-4.00pm.
To book an appointment, telephone: 0161 736 3601 or email: email@example.com .
Other Finding Aids
The full catalogue is available online on the Working Class Movement Library's Web Site - www.wcml.org.uk
These records were organised and listed by Bethan Murray, Dec 2009. Amended and catalogued by Kate Hart, Feb 2010, as part of 'The past meets the present', HLF project. Description compiled by Kate Hart, Mar 2010.