Comprises: (1) 25 autograph manuscript letters and postcards from Arnold Bennett to Pauline Urmson Smith or her mother between 1911-1931, together with typed transcripts made by the donor, A. Ravenscroft of the University of Leeds, probably ca. 1964; (2) 115 autograph manuscript letters, including 97 from Bennett to Henry Davray or his wife, and 18 to Davray from Robert Vansittart and between others 1903-1942.
Correspondence of Arnold Bennett
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS 20c Bennett (2)
- Dates of Creationca. 1903-1964
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 box containing 7 envelopes of letters and postcards and 1 vol. holding 16 pockets containing letters; manuscript, typescript, and postcards. The box bears a label with the following contents note: 'Arnold Bennett letters'. The volume has a spine label which bears the following title and contents note: 'Arnold Bennett: letters to Henry Davray (Also includes letters to Mme Davray, and letters from Percy Allen, J.W. Fortescue, Charles Morgan, Basil Zaharof and Robert Vansittart)'.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
(Enoch) Arnold Bennett (1867-1931), the novelist, playwright, and man of letters. For a fuller account of his life and achievements see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Access is unrestricted.
The box of letters was purchased from Colonel W. Cabourn Smith on 15 April 1965; the transcripts accompanying them were donated by A. Ravenscroft on 26 April 1965. The volume of letters was purchased from Maggs on 26 October 1995.
Other Finding Aids
The letters are listed in the Letters database. Those in the Davray volume are also briefly listed and described in typed lists held in the last pocket of that volume http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/letters/letlink.htm#bennett