Contains black and white prints showing the interior and exterior of the steel house. Pages 3, 13 and 14 are empty.
Album of photographs of Joseph Emberton's prototype steel house
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 1837 DES/EMB/2/9
- Dates of Creation1946
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 album, comprising 14 sheets plus covers, containing 11 prints.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Emberton's steel house prototype was the result of his advice to government about housing, primarily as a consultant to the Ministry of Works. The intention was to use surplus steel, but the project had to be abandoned when it was discovered that there was no such surplus. The prototype was built by Briggs Bodies of Dagenham, Essex.
Physical Characteristics and/or Technical Requirements
Black and white photographs inserted into card, tied with string.
Record edited and catalogue number changed by Sue Breakell, 5 October 2010.
See Rosemary Ind 'Emberton' p41-43.