Thirty-three volumes of theological and devotional works, mainly Roman Catholic. Some are by Gerard Saltmarsh, with Thomas Clayton's signature. Some are in the hand of Ferdinand Sillver.
Theological and Devotional Works
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb161-mss.eng.e.2760-75;lat.misc.e.130-2,f.53-5;lat.th.e.52-8,f.25-8
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Eng. e. 2760-75; Lat. misc. e. 130-2, f. 53-5; Lat. th. e. 52-8, f. 25-8
- Dates of Creation16th-19th century
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialLatin, English, and Italian.
- Physical Description33 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Gerard Saltmarsh was Chaplain to the Duchess of Norfolk in the late 17th century/early 18th century. Thomas Clayton (d 1746) was a priest in charge of the Roman Catholic chapel in Norwich from 1728. Ferdinand Sillver (d 1728) was a priest at Norwich.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The volumes were bought from John Wilson (Autographs) Ltd in 1981.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.