Commission certificate (14 September 1909); Proficiency certificate (2 April 1912); 4 watercolour sketches (8 March 1918); Message from the King, with envelope (1918); Panoramic photograph of Kastamuni (nd); 19 photographs of India, Mesopotamia and Constantinople (1915-1919); Memorandum to repatriated officers previously held POW (Prisoner of War) (25 November 1918); Manuscript order not to escape from POW (Prisoner of War) camp (18 October 1917); Typescript recollections 'Notes from the diary of a Control Officer in Turkey, 1919-1920' (nd); Typescript diary extracts, 29 April-4 July 1916 (nd); Typescript correspondence regarding General Townshend (4 April-12 December 1970); Typed transcript of an interview recorded with Peter Liddle (December 1976).
Walter Miles papers
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-liddlecollectionmes069
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Liddle Collection MES 069
- Dates of Creation1909-1976
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 file; manuscript, typescript, photographs, and printed material. Includes 4 watercolour sketches.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Walter Harold Miles was born in Jamaica in 1890 and educated at Sandhurst. As a 2nd Lieutenant, 2nd Battalion, Dorset Regiment, he served in India and Mesopotamia. He was held POW (Prisoner of War) after the Siege of Kut, and served in Turkey after the War. He later became a Major.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Other Finding Aids
Mesopotamia catalogue (hard copy) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/liddle/index.htm
Alternative Form Available