8 letters and 1 postcard about craftsmen of the 20th century, mainly to or from Katharine R. Drummond. Subjects: Mr & Mrs Godfrey Blount and the Haslemere Weaving Industry; Luther Hooper; craftsmen connected with Arthur W. Simpson (1857-1922) and Ronald Simpson, a designer for the Morton family textiles firm; and W.R. Lethaby.
Letters about craftsmen of the 20th century
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 2941 KRD
- Dates of Creation1953 - 1978
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 file.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
When contacted in 2008, Godfrey Rubens could not remember any particular connection with Katharine Drummond, from whom he had occasionally bought books.
According to Godfrey Rubens, Katharine Drummond was 'a middle aged woman who sold books from her home which, though my memory may be wrong, was in Hammersmith'. The envelope for the letter from KRD to Rubens bears the address 'Drummond, Bookseller, 30 Hart Grove, Ealing Common', and is annotated 'Katharine Drummond trained as a bookbinder at CSA & C [Central School of Arts and Crafts]'.
- KRD/1 From Dorothy Wilkinson to Miss K.R. Drummond re Mr & Mrs Godfrey Blount and the Haslemere Weaving Industry 1953
- KRD/2 From Waldo Lanchester of Lanchester Marionettes to Miss K.R. Drummond re Luther Hooper 1967
With covering letter from K.R. Drummond to Godfrey Rubens 1978
- KRD/3 From Hubert and Jean Simpson to K.R. Drummond, listing notable craftsmen and any connection with Hubert's father [Arthur W. Simpson, 1857-1922] and brother Ronald, a designer for the Morton family textiles firm 1973 and 1974
- KRD/4 From Jean Simpson to [Godfrey] Rubens, answering his enquiries re Professor William Lethaby 1976
Archive material may be viewed by appointment only.
This entry was compiled by Shirley Dixon, Crafts Study Centre Archivist, May 2020.
Other Finding Aids
Catalogue on Crafts Study Centre database. A pdf copy is available on request.
Conditions Governing Use
Written permission must be sought before any archival material is published.