- MS 575/10;MJ Journal, 11 November 1911 to 14 March 1913 [Entries for 1913 written at the beginning of 1911 diary] microfilm
Hannam, Australasian Antarctic Expedition
- For more information, email the repository
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb15-walterhenryhannam/walterhenryhannam/australasianantarcticexpedition
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Walter Henry Hannam/Australasian Antarctic Expedition
- Dates of Creation1911-1913
- Name of Creator
- Physical Description2 journals
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Australasian Antarctic Expedition, 1911-1914 (leader Douglas Mawson) established three bases, one on Macquarie Island, the others at Cape Denison and the Shackleton Ice Shelf. Sledging parties from the Cape Denison base explored the eastern coast, the southern area towards the Magnetic Pole and the western coastal mountains.
A sledging party consisting of Mawson, Ninnes and Mertz explored the icecap to the south beyond Cape Freshfield. (Only Mawson returned). The party on the Shackleton Ice Shelf carried out explorations including the assent of Gaussberg on the Davis Strait. The party on Macquarie Island led by George F Ainsworth established a wireless station and explored the island during their 23 month stay.
Aurora searched for the non existent 'Royal Company Island' and visited Auckland Islands.
Alternative Form Available
These are copies
MS 575/10;MJ Originals in Mitchell Library, part of State Library of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 1960 (Uncat. Mss.set 384) (1982)