The records are arranged to reflect the scope of the ecclesiastical courts:
High Commission Court:
- Court Books [HC.AB]. 1562-1641. 19 volumes.
- Cause Papers [HC.CP]. Late 16th century early 17th century. 6 boxes.
- Bonds [HC.Bonds]. Late 16th century early 17th century. 1 box.
- Precedent Papers: Northern and Southern Provinces [HC.Prec]. Late 16th century early 17th century. 1 box.
- Miscellaneous returns [HC.Misc]. Late 16th century early 17th century. 1 box.
- Court Books [Cons.AB]. 1417-1911. 109 volumes. Books for 1371, 1371-1375 and 1426-1427 are held in the Minster Library, York.
- Abstract Books [Abs.Bk]. 1634-1948. 92 volumes. Also to be found in Chancery and Audience, below.
- Cause Papers [Cons.CP]. 1800-2003. 42 boxes, including one oversize.
- Clerical Discipline and Offences:
- Records of offences under the Church and Clergy Discipline Acts and the Public Worship Regulation Act. Clergy discipline files [C.Disc]. 43 boxes. 1866-2003. Election of Assessors [C.Disc.Ass]. 1892-1922. 1 box.
- Records of offences under the Pluralities Amendment Act. Case papers and correspondence [PAA]. 1906. 1 box. Election of Commissioners [PAA.Comm]. 1885-1922. 1 box.
- Cautions and Caution Lists [Caut]. 19th century - 1995. 7 boxes.
- Court Books [Chanc.AB]. 1525-1956. 53 volumes.
- Abstract Books [Abs.Bk]. 1634-1948. 92 volumes. Also to be found in Consistory, above.
- Cause Papers [Chanc.CP]. 1800-1885. 17 boxes, including one oversize.
Exchequer and Prerogative Court:
- Court Books [Exch.AB]. 1548-1858. 40 volumes.
- Commission Books [Com.Bk]. 1611-1683. 2 volumes.
- Caveat Books [Cav.Bk]. 1521-1859. 9 volumes.
- Sequestration Book [Seq.Bk]. 1903-1959. 2 volumes. Each volume has a place index. Sequestrations from 1737 to 1902 are registered in the Faculty Books.
- Sequestration Papers [Seq]. 1634-1975. 54 boxes.
- Miscellaneous papers concerning officials, fees, calls, presentments, warrants, forms and precedents [Adm.Ct]. Late 16th century - early 18th century. 1 box.
- Constables' returns of seamen [Adm.Ct]. 1696-1779. 1 box.
- Cause papers [Adm.Ct.CP]. Mid 16th century - 1735. 3 boxes.
- Formularies and Precedent Books [Prec.Bk]. Late 17th century early 18th century. 2 volumes. The bulk of the Precedent Books are referenced in All Courts, below.
- Cause Papers [CP, series E-I]. 1300-2003. 677 boxes.
- Court Returns [C.Ret]. 1828-1914. 1 box.
- Deposition Book [Dep.Bk]. 1676-1678. 1 volume.
- Testamentary Court Cause Papers [Test.CP]. 1700-1857. 53 boxes, including two oversize.
- Transmitted Cause Papers [Trans.CP]. 1527-1883. 178 boxes, including three oversize, and one oversize roll.
- Citations (all courts):
- Citation Books [Cit.Bk]. 1611-1692. 14 volumes.
- Citations [Cit]. 1595-1857. 42 boxes. Citations of the Consistory, Chancery, Exchequer and Prerogative courts. Many early citations are included in the Cause Papers.
- Citation Notes [Cit.N]. 17th-19th centuries. 2 boxes.
- Faculty Books [Fac.Bk]. 1737-1983. 24 volumes. Each volume has a place index. Early registers also contain licences for parish clerks, schoolmasters, surgeons and midwives, commissions for granting marriage licences, caveats and dissenters' meeting-house certificates.
- Faculty Papers [Fac]. 1613-2001. 376 boxes. These comprise mostly petitions, citations, commissions to view, certificates, plans and estimates, copies and faculties and occasional correspondence.
- Faculties not proceeded with [Fac.NP]. 1940-1967. 5 boxes. A summary list for the years 1940-1959 is available at the Borthwick.
- Registers of appointment [Surr.Reg]. 1706-1830. 3 volumes.
- Commissions, bonds and correspondence relating to the appointment of surrogates. 1663-1998. 15 boxes.
- Matrimonial Records:
- Register of marriage licences [ML.Reg]. 1618-1620. 1 volume. This also includes caveats, licences to read prayers in churches, licences for curates, schoolmasters and parish clerks, and sequestrations.
- Marriage bonds (to 1823) and allegations [MB]. 1660-1998. 726 boxes. Manuscript indices are available for male names between 1886 and 1914.
- Certificates of marriage licences issued (fragmentary notes) [ML.Cert]. Late 17th century 1750. 1 bundle.
- Consent to marriages of members of H.M. Forces [ML.HMF]. 1943-1947. 1 box.
- Correspondence concerning stamp duty repayment on marriage licences [ML.Cor]. 1914-1944. 1 box.
- Applications for marriage licences [ML]. 1955-1967. 1 volume.
Papers of Court Officials:
- Court Property Tax Returns [CPR.Ret]. 1805-1816. 1 box.
- Chancellors' Papers:
- Papers of T.A.C. Coningsby. 1987-2001. 18 boxes.
- Files of papers relating to the admission of proctors and advocates of ecclesiastical courts of York [Proct.Adm]. 1622-1864. 1 box.
- Register of proctors' certificates in pursuance of the acts of 25 George III, c. 80 [Proct.Reg]. 1785-1910. 1 volume.
- Resignations [Proct.Res]. 1758-1853. 4 items.
- Proctors' Abstract Books [Proct.Abs.Bk]. 1674-1852. 18 volumes.
- Proctors' Papers [Proct.P]. 17th-19th centuries. 53 boxes. Miscellaneous collection of case papers, working papers, notes and correspondence, private legal business, books and accounts.
- Formularies and Precedent Books [Prec.Bk]. Late 16th century - 20th century. 47 volumes. The collection includes material from other dioceses in two form books and a 17th century formulary. Two other precedent books are devoted to procedure in the Admiralty Court (see above).