- Copies of constitution 1886-1985
- Roll of members 1887-1929, 1948-1953
- Financial records 1906-1979
- Statutory and general meeting minutes 1886-1998
- Verbatim statutory minutes 1954-1978
- Executive committee meeting minutes 1886-1981
- Council meeting minutes 1957-1972
- Papers concerning applications for grants from affiliated clubs and societies of the University, including constitutions, accounts, membership cards and syllabi 1962-1986
- General papers regarding freshers week, university business, scholarships, student elections and rectorial elections 1953-1990
- President's correspondence 1977-1978
- Publicity materials 1976-1989
- Photographs of SRC committee and events 1947-1978
- Student Representative Councils of Scotland minutes and conference notes 1899-1913
- Scottish Union of Students minutes, working papers, correspondence and reports 1946-1967
- Glasgow University Student Handbook 1893-1999
- Miscellaneous publications and pamphlets 1910-1977
- Glasgow University Guardian 1956-2006. (these have been digitised and can be accessed via the Glasgow Guardian Digital Archive .
Records of Glasgow University Students Representative Council, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 248 DC 157
- Dates of Creation1885-2006
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description4.85 metresThere are no physical characteristics that affect the use of this material.
- Digital Materials
- Digital Content
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Glasgow University Students' Representatives Council (SRC) was instituted in January 1885 , at the University of Glasgow , Scotland, with the stated aims of representing the students in such matters as affected their interests; affording a recognised means of communication between the students and the University authorities; and promoting social and academic unity among the students. Under Section 14 (12) of the Universities (Scotland) Act, 1889, the Commissioners thereby appointed were authorised to make Ordinances "To lay down regulations for the Constitution and functions of a Students' Representative Council in each University, and to frame regulations under which that Council shall be entitled to make representations to the University Court". The Council, which is affiliated to the Scottish Union of Students and the National Union of Students , comprises elected representatives from each faculty and from student clubs and societies. All matriculated students of the University are eligible to vote in the election of representatives to the Council.
In 2002 , the Council was administered by an Executive consisting of a president, senior vice-president vice-presidents with responsibility for welfare and communication and the past president of the SRC. The executive was elected annually from the student population and were full time one-year sabbatical posts. The Board of Management of the Council consisted of the executive and 2 non-students who were appointed by the secretary to the University Court and 2 graduates of the University. The Board of Management appointed a general manager, treasurer and clerk who undertook the main administration of the Council. The Council was statutorily obliged to meet 10 times a year.
The SRC was responsible for organising the election of the Rector who represents the students and chairs the University Court's monthly meetings. The SRC also provided a number of services to students, include a shop, bookshop, advice centre and support to clubs and societies. In 2002, the University has over 150 student societies based on special interests, political affiliation, sports and religion and over 100 of these were directly affiliated to the SRC. The SRC provided a budget to each society proportional to the society's membership and also provided free meeting rooms, mini bus hire, training and websites.
The SRC publishes the University's main student newspaper, Glasgow University Guardian and Glasgow University Magazine. It also supports Glasgow University Student Television (GUST) and the student radio station SubCity.
Moss, Rankin & RichmondWho, Where and When: The History and Constitution of the University of Glasgow ( Glasgow , 2001 )
The arrangement of this material reflects the original order in which it was received
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions governing access to papers, other than minutes, dated within a current five-year period is restricted to present members of the Students Representative Council. All minutes may be consulted by any matriculated student of the University of Glasgow, past and present. If in doubt, questions regarding access should be directed to the Senior Vice-President, whose role includes responsibility for the records of the Council.
Editions of the Glasgow University Guardian from 1956-2006 are not currently available for use.
Gift : November 1978
Transfer : Student Representatives Council : February 1980 : ACCN 0138
Transfer : Student Representatives Council : January 1989 : ACCN 1061
Gift : June 1998 : ACCN 1703
Other Finding Aids
Digital file level list available in searchroom
Alternative Form Available
No known copies
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist
Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use & condition of documents
This material has been appraised in line with standard GB 248 procedures
The official records were held in the SRC office before being transferred to the University Archives in 1980 and 1989.
Other items were in the possession of individuals who donated them to the University Archives.
No known publications using this material
This material is original
Revised by David Powell, Hub Project Archivist, 10 September 2002.