- MS 116/8/1;D Letter to Edwin De Haven and William Penny, 11 September 1850 [Regarding search of Wellington Channel, Cornwallis and Bathurst Island, Cape Walker and west to Melville Island] autograph
- MS 116/8/2-3;D Letters (2) to William Penny, February to April 1851 [Informal and official letters] 3 leaves, holograph and autograph
- MS 486/1/1-5;MCL Letters (5) to Sir John Ross, 1850-1851 [News of Penny's search in Wellington Channel, preparations for spring] 20 leaves, holograph
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 15 Sir Horatio Austin/Correspondence
- Dates of Creation1850-1851
- Name of Creator
- Physical Description8 letters
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The correspondence relates to the United States Franklin Search Expedition, 1850-1851 (leader Edwin De Haven) and the British Franklin Search Expedition, 1850-1851 (leader William Penny) both of which were in the Arctic at the same time as Austin's British Naval Franklin Search Expedition.
The correspondence is arranged alphabetically by recipient.