Contains extracts from Bede and others on the early monastery, "Carta Adelstani", "Valor ecclesiasticus", Leland's extracts from Peter of Blois: "Vita S. Wilfridi", survey of the Cathedral, description of the nave, crypt, bells, organ, communion plate, seals of the church, windows, monuments, rights and privileges of the church, Proceedings in the Duchy of Lancaster relative to the revenues of the church, extracts from the Diary of Dean Heneage Dering (Ripon Cathedral MS 44), copy of brief for repair of the church, 1661, extracts from various histories, transcript of a charter, 1368, and other documents, scheme for a college from Peck's "Desiderata curiosa", copy of the college scheme of 1596 from a broadside sheet in the Minster Library, notes on the library with Dean Dering's account of the exchange of a Demosthenes manuscript for some printed books, biographies and lists of deans, prebendaries, pre-Reformation canons, etc.
Notes for the history of Ripon Cathedral, compiled by John Richard Walbran
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Ripon Cathedral MS 53
- Dates of Creationca.1837-1848
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (239 ff.) Modern pencil foliation. Ff.54-177, 218-239, and a few other folios, are blank. Written in the hand of J. R. Walbran. On the flyleaf is the inscription "Collections for history of Ripon, Liberty of Ripon and Wapentake of Claro in West Riding Yorkshire by John R. Walbran of Ripon, 1837". On the front pastedown there is an armorial bookplate. The boards are marbled, half-leather, with the words "Cathedral Church of Ripon" impressed on the spine.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
John Richard Walbran (1817-1869) was a native of Ripon, and took a great interest in the history of his native city. He was twice mayor, in 1856 and 1857. His Guide to Ripon and Harrogate first appeared in 1841.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted
Some of the material here collected appeared in Walbran's Guide to Ripon, Fountains Abbey, etc.. The documents transcribed on ff.44-45 (of which the originals are now lost) were printed (from Walbran's manuscript) in Memorials of the Church of SS. Peter and Wilfrid, Ripon, vol.1 (Surtees Society), pp.161-2, 304-308.
Formerly shelved as XVIII.J.24