Predominantly relating to the work of Mervyn Peake, but also concerning Maeve's own painting and writing. The correspondence includes personal letters to Maeve from her friends and family, including letters from Mervyn. The majority of this material dates from the late 1950s to Maeve's death in 1983. There is a small amount of material from Sebastian and Fabian Peake subsequent to their mother Maeve's death.
Papers of Maeve Gilmore and the Mervyn Peake Estate
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 58 Add MS 88931/13
- Alternative Id.(ark) ark:/81055/vdc_100000000056.0x00002e
- Dates of Creation1937-2001
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish French Spanish German
- Physical Description177 units
Scope and Content
British Library arrangement: this sub-fonds has been created by the archivist to distinguish between papers created, collected and actively used by Maeve Gilmore and her descendents as distinct from those created, collected and used by Mervyn Peake during his lifetime. There are a few items in Peake's hand which have been retained in this section as they seem to have been incorporated into Maeve's files for reference purposes.
Available for research unless otherwise stated