Revised autograph manuscript of novella in ink and pencil. Complete draft in three chapters of the story that was later reworked as Captain Slaughterboard Drops Anchor. Inscribed 'Trinity College Hotel, Chestnut Walk, Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire'. Dated 1935 (f.53).
Starting from the end of the manuscript there are notes and drafts of the beginning of 'The House of Darkstones'. This is an earlier version of the work that later became Titus Groan. See also Add MS 88931/1/3 and Add MS 88931/1/8 for other Titus/Gormenghast manuscripts.
Drawings in ink, crayon and pencil include:
- f.1: pirate; two male figures;
- f.4: 'Kroozle-Zenith' [renamed 'Smear'] sat at table in candlelight;
- f.5: 'Croozle-Zenith and his valet';
- f.9v: Mr Smear standing on deck;
- f.14v: figure with feather in hat;
- f.21: female figure wearing flowery dress;
- f.25: margin doodle of the side of a face;
- f.46: 'The Plight of the "Conger Eel"';
- ff.50-52v: drawings from life;
- f.55: 'The Cellist';
- f.62: small margin doodle of head and other objects.