Autograph manuscript in different colour inks and pencil, with authorial revisions and [editor's?] corrections in pencil. As noted on the spine, this is the third volume of Peake's manuscript. Includes list of 'chapters already completed in the rough' on frontispiece. Notes on plot, vocabulary, character names and subjects for illustration at end of volume. Also includes poems 'I cannot simply stand and watch', 'On looking into the eyes of a lion' and 'Every gesture every eyelid's'. Notebook begun October 1940, Blackpool.
Drawings in pencil and ink include:
- f.18: head of child;
- f.25: heads of child and Maeve;
- f.33: candle;
- f.40: line drawing of male figure and four-legged creature;
- ff.42-43: Sebastian Peake? as a child;
- f.49v: cartoon-like sketch of kitchen boy with large nose, ear and hands [Steerpike?];
- f.61v: sketches of heads of two men wearing hats;
- f.69v: rough sketch of interior with three figures waving and duck swimming;
- f.70: Fuchsia and Steerpike [reprographic copy of leaf torn from the notebook; the original leaf is not present].