The collection consists of items collected by Carol Haydn-Evans documenting some of the history of women's lacrosse in Great Britain and Ireland, particularly in the first half of the twentieth century, and an extensive collection of photographs featuring national and international tournaments and fixtures from  to 1995.
The Papers of Carol Haydn-Evans
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 3449 LBA HAYD
- Dates of Creation1901 - 1995
- Name of Creator
- Physical Description3 folders and 1 box
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Carol Haydn-Evans was born on 20 December 1935 and attended Belvedere School, Liverpool before qualifying as a teacher. She played lacrosse at club, territorial and international level, playing for Liverpool (where she was captain in 1968), the North and Wales, and umpired at international games.
Carol served on various lacrosse association committees at county, terrritorial and national level from the 1950s to the 1990s. These included the following:
- Honorary Secretary, Lancashire Ladies' Lacrosse Association (1958-1960)
- Honorary Secretary, North Women's Lacrosse Association (1967-1980)
- Publicity Secretary, North WLA (1983-1992)
- Fixtures and Fundraising Secretary, North WLA (1983-1989)
- Fixtures Secretary, North WLA (1989-1992)
- Vice-President, North WLA (1984-1992)
- North Representative, All England Women's Lacrosse Association Executive Committee (1968-71 and 1977-79)
- Chair, AEWLA Fixtures Sub-Committee (1972-77 and 1990-91)
- North Representative, AEWLA Fixtures Sub-Committee (1979-84, 1989-90 and 1991-92)
- National Fixtures Organiser, AEWLA National Events Committee (1984-1988)
As part of her administrative responsibilities, Carol was involved in organising the North leg of the visit by the United States Women's Lacrosse Association Touring Team in 1984 which included arrangements for a lacrosse demonstration match as part of the International Garden Festival held in Liverpool and, in 1987, she facilitated the organisation of the England v. Wales match at Liverpool Cricket Club.
The papers were donated to the University of Bedfordshire by Carol Haydn-Evans on 23 May 2017 under Accession No. AWL2017/002.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to make any published use of any material from the collection must be sought in advance in writing from University of Bedfordshire Special Collections. Identification of copyright holders of unpublished material is often difficult. Special Collections will assist where possible with identifying copyright owners, but responsibility for ensuring copyright clearance rests with the user of the material.