The volume comprises autographs of, and signed letters from, about 115 different prominent people in the Victorian age between about 1844 and 1885, beginning with Queen Victoria and ending with Elihu Burrit. The people included are listed on a separate manuscript bifolium under the various categories given above. The volume is accompanied by 3 envelopes containing additional autograph letters, signatures and fragments, and autographs of United States politicians of the same period, all formerly held loosely within the volume.
Collection of autographs of, and signed letters from, miscellaneous prominent Victorian people
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionmsmisc.letters1autographs
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Misc. Letters 1 Autographs
- Dates of Creationca. 1844-1885
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (138 ff.) and 3 envelopes held within 1 large envelope, manuscript. The volume is bound in dark red tooled and gilt-embossed morocco with the gilt lettering AUTOGRAPHS embossed on the spine. There is marbling on both inside covers and end-papers and all folio edges are gilded.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Autographs and correspondents include famous people from the various fields of State, Art, Literature, Drama, Music, Poetry, Theology, and Miscellaneous. The compiler of the collection is unknown.
The letters and autographs are grouped within the volume according to the categories listed above.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Probably from the library of Lord Brotherton.
Other Finding Aids
There are 3 twentieth-century typescript lists of the people represented in the volume and envelopes, arranged in alphabetical and actual order in the volume.