This collection consists of manuscripts collected by Bywater, working papers on classical subjects, and correspondence mainly with classical scholars.
Manuscripts and Papers of Ingram Bywater
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Bywater 6-9, 11, 13-15, 17-34, 36, 39-64
- Dates of Creation16th century-1914
- Language of MaterialEnglish, Latin, Italian, Ancient Greek (to 1453), German, and French.
- Physical Description53 shelfmarks
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Ingram Bywater (1840-1914) was Regius Professor of Greek at Oxford, 1893-1908. Details are given in the Dictionary of National Biography.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections)
Part bequeathed by Bywater, part given by Mrs. Charles Cornish in 1919 and 1921.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
M. Clapinson and T.D. Rogers, Summary Catalogue of Post-Medieval Western Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford. Acquisitions 1916-1975. (Oxford, 1991), vol. I, nos. 37949-38001.