This extensive subfonds comprises several thousand items of Walter Crane's artwork, including: sketches, drawings, tracings and proofs of his book designs and other commercial designs; sketches and studies with colour; a small number of oil paintings and watercolours; diagrams and visual aids for his lectures and other educational activities; socialist cartoons and designs for various political groups and societies; and photographic reproductions of his works.
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 WCA/1
- Dates of Creation1855-1915
- Physical Description3,607 items.
Scope and Content
This subfonds, which is held at the Whitworth Art Gallery, comprises nine series:
- WCA/1/1: Illustration and book design;
- WCA/1/2: Commercial design;
- WCA/1/3: Non-commercial design;
- WCA/1/4: Sketches and studies with colour;
- WCA/1/5: Finished paintings;
- WCA/1/6: Photographic reproductions;
- WCA/1/7: Education;
- WCA/1/8: Political and societies;
- WCA/1/9: Works by others (including Crane's children);
- WCA/1/10: Miscellaneous.