The volume contains diary entries and other notes written by William Edward Rawlinson, an officer in the Indian Army serving in Oudh [the region also known as Awadh, whose capital was Lucknow, now part of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh]. Many pages are written cross-wise. Inside the back cover are biographical notes, which indicate that Rawlinson was born c.1807-8 and educated at Charterhouse School. He served as midshipman in the West Indian station in 1823, and went out to India in 1826.
Diary of William Edward Rawlinson
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 133 Eng MS 970
- Dates of CreationJuly 1827-February 1834
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description182 x 110 mm. 1 volume (84 folios); Binding: half-bound in morocco, marbled paper-covered boards.
Scope and Content
Conditions Governing Access
The manuscript is available for consultation by any accredited reader.
Donated to the John Rylands Library by Francis Buckley esq., MA, BCL, JP, in September 1945.
Description compiled by Jo Humpleby, project archivist.
Other Finding Aids
Catalogued in the Hand-List of the Collection of English Manuscripts in the John Rylands Library, 1937-1951 (English MS 970).