The collection includes records from the Aberdeen Shipbuilders Association, the Dundee Shipbuilders Association, the East of Scotland Association of Engineers and Ironfounders (Shipbuilding Section), and the Shipbuilding Employers Federation as well as those of the Scottish East Coast Shipbuilders Association. A large proportion of the archive has been microfilmed and the films are also held in the Library.
Records of the East of Scotland Shipbuilders Association
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
To be established.
- Scottish East Coast Shipbuilders Association: Minutes, 1947-1978 and second set, 1946-1964; circular letters in annual volumes, 1947-1979; correspondence files, numbered by topic, 1947-1980; Letter books, 1947-1980;
- Aberdeen Shipbuilders Association: Minutes, 1899-1946; Correspondence files, incomplete, 1921-1947; Circular letters 1921-1927, 1938, 1940-1944; Local conference reports, 1932-1946;
- Dundee Shipbuilders Association: Minutes, 1899-1945; Wages rates book, 1914-1923;
- East of Scotland Association of Engineers and Ironfounders (Shipbuilding Section): Minutes, 1918-1946;
- Shipbuilding Employers Federation: Circular letters, 1942-1945;
- Additional deposit of Files; Handbook of agreements, list of contents 1972-1979.
Conditions Governing Access
By appointment with the Archivist. Access to unpublished records less than 30 years old and other records containing confidential information may be restricted. Special conditions apply to photographs.
Given to the University of St Andrews by the last Secretary to the Association in 1998 and 1999.
Description compiled by Rachel Hart, Archives Hub Project.
Other Finding Aids
A brief handlist is available in the Reading Room.
Conditions Governing Use
Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist. Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents.