Comprises selections from Rowlands' work preceded by a dedication written in a different hand by Robert Barnes to 'Lo: Roberts', probably Richard, Baron Robartes of Truro. The latter is written on an inserted leaf and includes a list of contents.
Selections from The betraying of Christ, by Samuel Rowlands
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb206-brothertoncollectionmslt77
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 206 Brotherton Collection MS Lt 77
- Dates of Creationca. 1625-1634
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish
- Physical Description1 vol. (48 ff.), manuscript. The main text is written in a single hand. Bound in vellum and embossed with a gilt pattern and decorations. The main text is foliated 1-45 by the writer of the manuscript.
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Samuel Rowlands (1570?-1630?) was a writer of tracts in prose and verse. He wrote The betraying of Christ in 1598. For further details of his writings see the Dictionary of National Biography.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Purchased at Sotheby's on 4 July 1986.
Other Finding Aids
The poems are indexed in the BCMSV database http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/bcmsv/bcmvlink.htm#bclt77