- Reports, programmes, curricula, minutes, lecture texts, etc. relating to adulteducation in various African universities, 1949-1979
- Reports, memoranda, texts of lectures and addresses, notes, etc. relating to adult education in Africagenerally, 1950-1978
- Reports, memoranda, texts of articles and lectures,printed material, press cuttings, notes, etc. relating to University educationin Africa, 1955-1967
- Texts of addresses and lectures, minutes, drafts of statutes,etc. relating to African affairs, 1961-1974
- Letters, programmes, printedtexts of speeches, etc. relating to international adult education
Papers of Lalage Bown, OBE
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Afr. s. 1877
- Dates of Creation1949-1979
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description56 boxes
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Professor Lalage Bown (fl 1927-1981) worked as Resident Tutor, University College of theGold Coast, for Trans-Volta and Togoland, 1949-1955, and at the Departmentof Extra-Mural Studies, Makerere College, East Uganda, 1955-1959. While in the Gold Coast she was involved in the initiation of the Awudome Residential Adult College. She wasAssistant Director, then Deputy Director of Extra-Mural Studies, Universityof Ibadan, Nigeria, 1960-1966 and Director of Extra-Mural Studies andProfessor (ad personam), University of Zambia, 1966-1970. From 1971-1976 shewas Professor of Adult Education and Chief Extension Co-ordinator, AhmaduBello University, Zaria, Nigeria. She held the posts of Professor and Head ofthe Department of Adult Education, 1977-1979 and Dean of Education, 1979-1980,University of Lagos, Nigeria. She was awarded the William Pearson Tolley Medalby Syracuse University, New York, USA, 1975 and the OBE, 1977.
Conditions Governing Access
Bodleian reader's ticket required.
Collection level description created by Paul Davidson, Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Rhodes House.
Other Finding Aids
Listed as no. 799 in Manuscript Collections in Rhodes House Library Oxford, Accessions 1978-1994 (Oxford, Bodleian Library, 1996).A handlist is available for consultation in the library reading room.
Conditions Governing Use
No reproduction or publication of personal papers without permission. Contact the library in the first instance.