- Records of the Old Corporation of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, including transcripts of the minutes of the Common Council, 1782-1835, the charter of James I, and a list of expired leases, compiled by W. Bliss, c. 1868
- notes on Chipping Norton by Charles Holmes, 1854, including by-laws, election of, and oaths taken by, officers of the corporation and freemen, a chronicle of the town, a history of the manor and church, descriptions of buildings, charities and archaeology.
Records of the Borough of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 161 MSS. Top. Oxon. c. 471-2
- Dates of Creationlate 19th century (some transcripts of older material, 1782-1835)
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description2 shelfmarks
- Direct Link
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
James I granted a charter of incorporation to the town of Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, in 1606.
Conditions Governing Access
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk).
Given to the Library in 1952.
Collection level description created by Susan Thomas, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
P.S. Spokes, Summary Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library relating to the city, county, and university of Oxford. Accessions from 1916 to 1962 (Oxford, 1964).