The material is composed of: notebooks of Bonar's sermons, 1745-1752; copies of 'an agreement by some young men who erected themselves into a Society for prayer and Christian conversation' 1740, and sermon 1733, and letter 1741; sermon on the nature and necessity of a religious education, 1752; and, fragments of sermons. There is also a notebook with various drafts of The example of Tyre, a warning to Britain and some pages loosely inserted, as well as two sermons.
Papers of Rev. John Bonar (d. 1761)
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
- This material is held at
- ReferenceGB 237 Coll-766
- Dates of Creation1733-1818
- Name of Creator
- Language of MaterialEnglish.
- Physical Description4 notebooks, 25 sheets or pages, 1 part volume, 1 notebook, 1 envelope fragments. Access to records in a fragile condition may be restricted.
- LocationMSS BOX 28.6.1-7; MSS BOX 27.2
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
The Rev. John Bonar was Minister of Cockpen, and Minister of Perth West Church. He died in 1761.
Generally open for consultation to bona fide researchers, but please contact repository for details in advance.
The biographical/administrative history was compiled using material within the collection.
Compiled by Graeme D Eddie, Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections Division.
Other Finding Aids
Check the local Indexes for details of any additions.