Facsimiles of Beethoven's letters, collected by Emily Anderson for her translation.
Copies of Beethoven's Letters
- For more information, email the repository
- Advice on accessing these materials
- Cite this description
Scope and Content
Administrative / Biographical History
Emily Anderson (1891-1962) was a civil servant. She published a translation of The letters of Beethoven, in 3 vols, (1961). Details are given in Who Was Who.
Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card (for admissions procedures see http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/specialcollections).
The collection was given to the Library in 1973.
Collection level description created by Emily Tarrant, Department of Special Collections and Western Manuscripts.
Other Finding Aids
A full description is available in the Library.
Conditions Governing Use
Quotation from these photocopies may be made only with the permission of the owners of the originals.
Emily Anderson, The letters of Beethoven (London : Macmillan, 1961).
The originals are located as follows:
- MSS. Facs. a. 9 - Library of Congress and Bibliothque du Conservatoire, Paris
- MSS. Facs. d. 153 - Deutsche Staatsbibliothek, Berlin
- MSS. Facs. b. 58-9, c. 62 - public and private ownership (places of origin are pencilled on the backs)